The synagogue in Alba Iulia, Romania — completed in 1840 and believed to be the first masonry synagogue in Transylvania — was rededicated at a crowded ceremony on November 26 after a renovation process.
You can watch a 16-minute video report about the event here (there is a lot of talk, but also scenes of the building….):
The synagogue, located at 2, Tudor Vladimirescu Street, and also the Jewish cemetery are among 64 heritage and historical sites in the city that are being marked with QR code signs to allow visitors to have more information about them — in Romanian, English, French and Italian.
In recent years the municipal administration has launched efforts to restore Jewish heritage in the city, with particular emphasis on the old Jewish cemetery. Established in the 18th century and still used by the town’s tiny Jewish community, the cemetery is believed to be the oldest Jewish cemetery in Transylvania and one of the oldest in Romania.
Click HERE to see a Center for Jewish Art documentation of the synagogue from the 1990s.