An abandoned, dilapidated synagogue in Jaroslaw, southeast Poland, is up for sale by its private owner. The asking price on the advertisement on the Otodom web site is 2,800,000 zloty (c. €600,000).
Part of a shulhoyf, the synagogue was built in 1900. It stands next to the Great Synagogue, which was built in baroque style in 1807 -1811 and today is used as an art school, with an exhibition hall in the former sanctuary. The Great Synagogue bears a memorial plaque commemorating the 10,000 local Jews murdered in the Holocaust.
The Small Synagogue survived World War II fairly intact (though the Germans wrecked the interior). According to Virtual Shtetl, in the 1950s, the building was used, among other things, by a Chemical-Mineral firm. In the years 1969-1973 it was completely reconstructed for use by a Conservation Workshop.
Though the building retains its arched windows, and the tablets of the 10 commandments remain on the exterior at the peak of the roof, pictures show that virtually all interior traces of the original function of the former synagogue were removed, and the interior was divided into various rooms.
Virtual Shtetl states that in 2001, the building was sold to a private company; but “it is now abandoned and its condition is very bad.”