There are around 40 synagogues and Jewish prayer rooms in Switzerland, and dozens of Jewish cemeteries. You can find the addresses and basic information for sites from the lists we link to above. Here below, we include information and links to some sites with their own web sites or more extensive online information.
317, Parkstrasse, Baden
Tel: +41 56 222 94 36
Built in 1913 and designed by Baden architects Otto Dorians and Adolf Fuchslin.
Founded in the late 19th century. The Jewish community web site has a downloadable PDF map of the cemetery, with list of names of those buried there. There is also a “find a grave search function.
Synagogue, Jewish cemetery, active Jewish community, and home of the Jewish Museum of Switzerland.
Tel.: +41 56 222 94 46
Grand synagogue, designed by the architect Hermann Gauss and dedicated in 1868 in an eclectic style combining Moorish, Byzantine, and Romanesque elements. It was expanded in 1892 — when it got its distinctive twin-domed appearance.
Theodor-Herzl Strasse 90
Tel: +41 (0) 61 261 95 14
A mobile phone and tablet app that affords a 13-stop, multimedia walking tour documenting the 800-year history of Jews in Basel. It features text, sound, and images; an Interactive timeline, and a city map with GPS function.
Jews were permitted to establish permanent settlements in these two neighboring villages near Baden after Jews were readmitted to Swiss territory following the expulsions of the Middle Ages. From 1622 Jews there had the status of “protected foreigners,” and from 1776 they were the only two places in the county of Baden where Jews were allowed to live. Only in 1866 did the Swiss Federation allow Jews to settle elsewhere in Switzerland. Jewish heritage sites include two synagogues — one in each village — and a Jewish cemetery between the two villages that was founded in 1750, making it Switzerland’s oldest existing Jewish cemetery. The Synagogue in Lengnau hosts a permanent exhibition on the Jews in Switzerland. (Lengnau had no church, only a synagogue). Local authorities have created a Jewish Heritage Path with a web site and downloadable brochure in English and other languages, taking in these sites.
Association of the Jewish Heritage Path
CH-5426 Lengnau AG
Tel: +41 56 266 50 10
Fax: +41 56 266 50 15
Description, maps, driving directions, history, photographs, downloadable brochure, and more.
Article by Roy Oppenheim detailing Jewish history in the villages, especially noting the roots there of the Guggenheim dynasty. (Other notable natives include the director William Wyler, who was also born in Endingen, and the composer Ernest Bloch, from Lengnau.)
Article in Hadassah Magazine by Alan Tigay, September 2017
Tel.: +41 56 242 15 46
The cemetery replaced an earlier Jewish burial place established in the early 17th century on a now-nonexistent island in the Rhine River; there are about 2,700 graves.
Web site of an association for the preservation, enhancement and promotion of the Franco-Genevan Jewish heritage. There are lengthy and detailed articles on Jewish heritage sites, local Jewish history, biographies, etc, as well as information on guided Jewish heritage tours, etc
Beth Yaakov Synagogue (Grande Synagogue; Ashkenazi synagogue)
Place de la Synagogue
The building, designed by the architect Jean-Henri Bachofen, was completed in 1859 and is marked by large dome above an octagonal base.
Old Jewish Cemetery
Rue de la Fontenette
Founded in the late 18th century and restored in 1996, the cemetery is located outside of Geneva in neighboring Carouge. There are some 720 burials. It was in use until 1920.
Though serving Geneva, the cemetery grounds straddle the Swiss-French border and most of its territory lies in France. (This is because of a law in 1876 that barred denomination cemeteries in Switzerland.) The cemetery was founded in 1920 and has entrances in both countries. This made it a conduit for clandestine traffic between the two countries — including a route taken by Jews fleeing occupied France to neutral Switzerland during World War II. It has a modernist chapel (on Swiss territory) designed by the architect Julien Flegenheimer and dedicated in 1931, which has striking stained glass windows. Today, there are more than 3,000 burials, including those of several notable personalities, including the banker Edmond Safra and World Jewish Congress secretary-general Gerhart Riegner. (See the full history of the cemetery HERE)
Article about the cemeteries by Ronnie Nussenblatt, in Avotaynu, October 2010
Comprehensive article by Esther Hecht on Jewish sites, institutions, and facilities in the city.
63, rue du Parc
2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Designed in neo-Byzantine style by the Strasbourg architect M. Kuder and located in the city center, the synagogue was dedicated in 1896. Landmarked as a monument of regional importance, it has an ornate interior (designed by local architect Gustave Clerc) and a tall central cupola — 32 metres in height — with a brightly colored tiled roof, topping an octagonal tambour with 24 windows. Celebrations were held in 2016 to mark its 120th anniversary.
Active Jewish community (the largest in Switzerland), with synagogues, Jewish cemeteries, and other infrastructure.
Moorish-style synagogue build in 1884. Listed as a regional historic monument.
There are two Jewish cemeteries, next to each other.
Old Jewish Cemetery (Friedhof Unterer Friesenberg)
In use from 1866 to the 1950s.
New Jewish Cemetery (Friedhof Oberer Friesenberg)
Opened in the 1950s and currently in use.