There are numerous museums and cultural and educational institutions that deal with Jewish history and heritage in Poland. We have arranged them here by location, and concentrate of institutions that have something to do with Jewish built heritage, museums, heritage sites, or related matters.
The list is still growing, but we try to keep up….let us know what we may have left out — and search our news items for Poland to find updated information.
INTERNATIONAL & GENERAL; WEB SITES
34, Kirkland St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
The web site includes back issues of some volumes of the Association’s newsletter, Gazeta.
London WC2B 6AH
Conferences, research; publisher of POLIN annual volumes of scholarly articles.
Interactive map to memorials and museums, on the web site of the Foundation of the Memorial to Murdered European Jews in Berlin
A project of the POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, this is the most complete compendium of information about Jewish heritage sites and institutions in Poland, including museums that have Judaica collections. It covers more tha 2,000 locations.
Major institution located on the site of the Warsaw Ghetto, with expanding web site, projects, and resources.
ul. Tlomackie 3/5
Tel: +48 (0) 22 827 92 21 ext. 113
Fax: +48 (0) 22 827 83 72
Research institute and exhibition located in a surviving pre-World War II building that originally was Warsaw’s main Judaic library. Its permanent exhibit, opened in 2017, is on the Ringelblum Archive from the Warsaw Ghetto.
15 św. Wincentego Street, 03-505 Warsaw
Tel: (+48) 22 678 74 53, (+48) 504 906 258
The exhibition focuses on both the history of the cemetery (in the Praga neighborhood) and on Jewish death and mourning customs. It uses text, photos, maps, and other images to present the concepts of death and burial in Jewish tradition, religion and culture. It also tells the history of the cemetery itself: founded in 1780, Bródno is the oldest surviving Jewish cemetery in Warsaw and the largest in terms of the number of burials — more than 250,000 are believed to be interred there. It occupies more than 12 hectares. Most of the headstones were uprooted for use as construction material and thousands remain piled up on the site. Click to see our article and photos.
ul. Grójecka 22/24 lok.32
Aimed at documentation and spreading knowledge concerning the common history of Poles and Jews, and the Holocaust; also preserving monuments of Jewish culture, mainly Jewish cemeteries.
ul. Senatorska 35
tel. +48 22 620 30 36, +48 22 620 30 37, +48 22 620 30 38
fax: +48 22 620 05 59
Cultural and educational foundation established in 1988 at the initiative of Golda Tencer, an actress and director of the E.R. Kaminska State Yiddish Theatre in Warsaw. It promotes many projects and events, including the annual Singer’s Warsaw Jewish Culture Festival, a Yiddish Culture Center, and Zydzi Polscy, a website featuring the thousands of photographs gathered for the Foundation’s exhibition and book “And I Still See Their Faces.” (See web site for contact details on projects.)
ul. Tlomackie 3/5
00-090 Warsaw, Poland
Tel: +48 22 208 58 78
Polish office of U.S. Foundation devoted to promoting Jewish culture and heritage activities in Poland
Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28
Tel: +48 22 55 20 415
Fax: +48 22 826 19 88
The Center operates within the organizational framework of the Institute of History, University of Warsaw
ul. Chmielna 9A
Tel: +48 533 072 790
ul. Miodowa 24
Tel: +48 (0) 12 3705770
Fax: +48 (0) 12 3705771
ul. Dajwór 18, 31-052 Krakow
Tel/Fax: +48 (0) 12 421 6842
Established in 2004 by the late British photographer Chris Schwarz. The permanents exhibit features Schwarz’s photographs of Jewish heritage in Poland. There are temporary exhibitions and educational programs, as well as a bookshop and eduational programs.
24 ul. Szeroka, 31-053 Kraków
Tel: +48 (0) 12 422 09 62, +48 (0) 12 431 05 45
Fax: +48 (0) 12 431 05 45
Located in the gothic Old Synagogue; a branch of the Krakow History Museum.
4 ul. Lipowa, 30-702 Kraków
Tel/Fax: +48 (0)12 257 1017, 12 257-00-95, 12 257 00 96
Museum about Krakow under Nazi occupation; located in the former factory operated by Oskar Schindler; a branch of the Krakow History Museum.
18 Bohaterów Getta Square, 30-547 Kraków
Tel: (12) 656-56-25
Museum about World War II Jewish ghetto; located in the Ghetto pharmacy; a branch of the Krakow History Museum.
ul. Meiselsa 18, 31-058 Krakow
Tel: +48 12 430 64 49, 430 64 52
Fax:+48 12 430 64 97
Located in a renovated prayer house; cultural and educational programs; exhibits.
Rynek Glowny 25
Tel: +48 12 424 2811
National institution focusing on a broad range of issues regarding heritage and culture in Poland and east-central Europe.
ul. Szeroka 6
Tel: +48 (0) 12 411 12 45
Local publisher of Jewish-themed books; it also maintains a Jewish bookstore, at Jozefa 38.
Tel: + 48 12 431 15 17
Annual 10-day event features concerts, performances, heritage tours, workshops, etc. The Festival organization runs the Cheder Cafe (ul. Jozefa 36) as a year-round venue for lectures, workshops, meetings.
ul. Jodłowa 13
Tel: +48 (0) 12 664 7408
ul. Józefa 19, 31-056 Kraków
Tel: +48 (0) 12 427 59 18, +48 (0) 12 427 59 61
The memorial museum at the Nazi death camp has research facilities and archives. See list of contacts for staff and departments.
Pl. Ks. Jana Skarbka 5
Tel: +48 510 781 199
Prayer, research and educational center, with a museum on pre-war Jewish history of Oswiecim. Opened in 2000, it is located in a complex including the town’s only surviving synagogue, which has been restored. The new core exhibition of the Center is called “Oshpitzin: The Story of Jewish Oświęcim.” Opened in May 2014, it tells the story of pre-war Jewish Oświęcim, the Holocaust, and Jewish life in Oświęcim today through unique objects, testimonies, documents, photographs, artifacts from the destroyed Great Synagogue, and immersive new technologies. Jews lived in Oświęcim in a diverse and vibrant community for 400 years before the Holocaust. In 1939, there were roughly 8,000 Jewish residents in a town of 14,000 people. Nearly the entire Jewish population of Oświęcim was murdered in the Holocaust, and all but one synagogue – of nearly thirty that existed – disappeared. The exhibition’s accompanying Smartphone app can be found at app.oshpitzin.pl. It is available for download for both Apple and Android products.
Al. Hugona Kołłątaja 24/28
Tel: +48 511 016 322, +48 793 211 712
Local NGO dedicated to promoting Jewish history and heritage in Będzin. A major project was the rehabilitation of a private prayer house found hidden in an upstairs apartment at Aleja Kollataja 24.
Tel: +48 516 272 666
Local NGO founded in 2016 to aid Jewish family history research and promote/preserve Jewish heritage.
Tel: +48 (0) 34 360 56 31
A permanent exhibition on local Jewish history opened in 2016 as part of the Częstochowa Museum.
ul. Księcia Józefa Poniatowskiego 14
Tel: +48 (0) 32 441 96 39
A museum of local Jewish history, opened in February 2016 in the redbrick neo-gothic ceremonial hall of the Gliwice Jewish cemetery, as a branch of the municipal Museum of Gliwice.
ul. Lubelska 4
24-120 Kazimierz Dolny nad Wisłą
Tel: +48 (0) 81 881 08 94
The former synagogue is run by the Jewish community in Warsaw as a culture center with an exhibition on local Jews, as well as a guest house and kosher cafe.
Kazimierz Dolny 24-120
Tel : 81 881 02 88
The collection includes Jewish ritual objects.
Kielce, 25-508 Poland
Tel: +48 (0) 577 809 333, 41 201 02 38
An NGO aimed at promoting civil rights and dialogue and fighting racism, anti-Semitism, and xenophobia. It is located in the building where an infamous post-war pogrom against Jews took place in July 1946.
ul. Bożnicza 17, Łęczna
The Regional Museum was long housed in the town’s 17th century Great Synagogue, which was restored to preserve the interior decoration and fixtures, including the Ark and the four-pillar central bimah. A collection of mazevot from the destroyed Jewish cemetery is displayed outside. The town library is in a second, smaller synagogue nearby. NOTE: the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland (FODZ) acquired the building in 2013 and plans were announced to convert it into a Jewish museum.
31 ul Narutowicza
Tel. +48 (0) 65 529 61 43
The Art Gallery of the Museum is housed in a former synagogue. Also displayed is a permanent exhibition of Judaica. See: Leszno Judaica Collection (a pdf file on the collection). Until 2004, this collection was housed in the former Pre-Burial House on the site of the largely ruined Jewish Cemetery. This building now serves as a branch of the town library. (al. Jana Pawła II 14, 64-100 Leszno. Tel: +48 (0) 65 520 5355; Fax: +48 (0) 65 529 6665; Email: email@example.com) The cemetery was destroyed by the Nazis, but about 400 fragments of gravestones have been collected there, and some are displayed in the building.
ul. Pomorska 18
Tel/Fax: +48 (0) 42 639 72 33
The aim of the Foundation, which was founded in 1995, is to rescue, save and strengthen the cultural heritage of Łódź Jews and to bring it back into memory. A main emphasis is the conservation of the Jewish cemetery in Łódź.
ul. Wojska Polskiego 83
Tel: +48 (0) 42 636 38 21
Fax: +48 (0) 42 636 33 11
A center for cultural and educational research established by the City Council in 2010 tto organized activities promoting the multicultural and multiethnic heritage of Lodz, with particular emphasis on the Jewish culture.
ul. Grodzka 21, 20-112 Lublin
Tel. 81 532 58 67
A local government cultural institution that carries out extensive research, presentation, documentation, and other activities relating to local and regional Jewish history, heritage, and culture. It also has a permanent exhibition.
Lublin Yeshiva Museum
Permanent exhibition on the life and achievements of Rabbi Meir Shapiro who founded the Yeshivat Chachmei Lublin. It opened in 2017 in the Yeshiva building (now used as a hotel and the headquarters of the Jewish community).
ul. Droga Męczenników Majdanka 67
Founded in November 1944 on the grounds of the former German concentration camp located outside Lublin, It is an institution directly subordinated to the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage. In addition to organizing exhibitions, the museum also runs educational and academic activities. Since 2004 there has also been a non-local branch of Majdanek – Museum – Memorial Site in Bełżec, and since 2012 – Museum of the Former Death Camp in Sobibór.
37-120 Markowa 1487
Tel: +48 17 224 10 15; +48 17 225 47 75
Located in the restored synagogue, the museum, which opened in March, 2013, was partially funded by the EU and features interactive exhibits.
Pl. Płk. Berka Joselewicza 1
Tel: +48 (0) 16 679 30 00;
fax: +48 (0) 679 16 30 10
The museum, founded more than a century ago, has several branches and includes a major collection of Judaica. Material in the exhibit includes items collected since the establishment of the museum in 1909, as well as in post-war decades. They include a collection of 72 archival photographs, obtained by the museum in 1928, which document the gravestones of the old cemetery on ul. Rakoczy, which was completely destroyed during World War II.
An open-air museum of Jewish history opened in 2014. It is a sort of walking trail with some 50 plaques embedded into the sidewalks around the town that provide information about the Jewish history of Radomsko and the sites being marked — including former synagogues, schools and houses where Jewish families lived.
The museum is a project of the Yiddele Memory association, founded by Rachel Lili Kesselman, which worked closely with city officials, the Mayor.
A Hasidic Center catering to pilgrims opened in Radomsko in 2017.
ul. Piłsudskiego 37
16-500 Sejny, Poland
Tel/Fax: +48 (0) 87 516 27 65
Wide-ranging foundation, publishing house, research and cultural center, dealing with dialogue and minority issues; centered in former Jewish buildings in Sejny, including the White Synagogue. A list of activities and Email and other contacts relating to departments is online.
Oddział Muzeum Podlaskiego w Białymstoku
ul. Kozia 2, 16-080 Tykocin
Tel: +48 085 718 16 13
Fax: +48 085 718 16 26
Housed since 1977 in the restored Great Synagogue (originally built in 1642); exhibition of Judaica with the main exhibit the restored synagogue itself.
Wide-ranging cultural and education foundation that also spearheaded the restoration of the city’s White Stork Synagogue.
The restored synagogue is used for concerts and cultural events. The upper level of the women’s gallery houses a local Jewish history permanent exhibition. The Jewish compound also includes a historic Mikveh. Restoration of it began in 2017, to bring it back to its function as a ritual bath and also an exhibition space.
The Department offers a complete program of bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees that emphasizes languages (modern Hebrew, Yiddish, biblical Hebrew, and Ladino), and a block of courses on history, literature, and culture studies that covers the period from biblical times to modern Israel. The bachelor’s degree has both an academic and an educational track.