Jul 2 – Jul 3 all-day
Riga Jewish Community, Museum “Jews in Latvia” and Museum of Romans Suta and Aleksandra Belcova (Riga, Latvia), in collaboration with the International Center of Litvak Photography (Kaunas, Lithuania) and Jewish Historical Institute (Warsaw, Poland) are sponsoring the International Conference “Art and the Holocaust: Reflections for the Common Future”.
The aim of the conference is to present new researches about the relationships between the Holocaust and art (drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, contemporary art, the art of commemoration), as well as the ways that individuals reacted towards atrocities, how they tried to preserve their human dignity, and how the traumatic experience of the Holocaust has influenced European society.
Jul 14 – Jul 16 all-day
The 26th annual Sefer conference.
The conference program is expected to include sections that reflect the traditional areas of Jewish Studies (Biblical and Talmudic studies, Jewish thought, Jewish history of different periods, the Judeo-Christian relations, the Holocaust, languages and literature, art, ethnology, demography, genealogy, museums and archives, et al.).
Some of the themed sections will include:
- section dedicated to the 50 anniversary of death Itsic Manger
- a section dedicated to the history and culture of Lithuanian Jews
- a section on the history and culture of the Mountain Jews
- a section dedicated to the evacuation and the first post-war years
- section “between the earthly and the divine: images, technology and Kabbalah in modern times”
- Section “Romania, Romania, Romania: between dream and reality of the first half of the XX century”