The official reopening ceremony of the Great synagogue in Plzen, Czech Republic, following a three-year restoration of the synagogue interior and nearby Rabbi’s house. A permanent exhibition on Jewish monuments in the Pilsen region will be opened, in the women’s gallery. It is based on the photographs of Radovan Kodera.
A procession will bring a Torah scroll from the Old to the Great Synagogue and ceremoniously place it in the ark.
Following will be a ceremonial program with speeches by the Culture Minister, the head of the tiny local Jewish community, and others. A concert will feature compositions inspired by Jewish prayers, adapted for the occasion.
Following a full-scale renovation, there will be an official public rededication ceremony for the synagogue in Alessandria, Italy.
The latest edition of the exhibit Neviditelné Synagogy — Invisible Synagogues, photographs by Štěpán Bartoš. The vernissage is November 23 at 17:00.
Bartoš photographs the blank spaces in the Czech Republic where destroyed synagogues once stood and adds a ghostly silhouette of the destroyed synagogue to the exhibition photos of the places where they once stood.
On the Invisible Synagogues project web site (which is in German and Czech) you can see galleries of his photos, without the added silhouette, arranged according to region. They include sites in big cities, small towns, and tiny villages; there are fields and rural spaces as well as modern buildings, crowded city streets, and even artificial lakes.
“Case di vita. Sinagoghe e cimiteri in Italia” — “Houses of Life: Synagogues and cemeteries in Italy”
The exhibit, curated by Andrea Morpurgo and the MEIS director Amadeo Spagnoletto, focuses on the architectural, ritual, and social dimensions of the synagogues and Jewish cemeteries in Italy.
It displays architectural plans, documents from state archives and Jewish communities, family heirlooms, and prestigious loans such as the Ark of the Jewish Community of Vercelli.
An exhibition marking the 80th anniversary of the torching of the Sinagoga Tedesca by local fascist squads. The synagogue now houses the Jewish Museum in Padova.
The exhibit will feature historic photographs and archival documents, and there will be explanatory talks at the opening.
The even is free, but please reserve here – email@example.com or Tel. 049661267 – Whatsapp 3756347243
Archive documents, drafts and testimonies restore personal and professional dignity to nine stories interrupted by racial laws.
On 14 July 1938, the Race Manifesto was published in Il Giornale d’Italia, signed by ten scientists and professors, which was to become the ideological basis of the regime’s racist policy. This document was followed by the Racial Laws, aimed at increasingly stripping non-members of the ‘Italian race’ of their rights. In this escalation of the curtailment of freedoms and subtraction of civil rights, other laws were promulgated on 29 June 1939 regulating ‘the exercise of professions by citizens of the Jewish race’.
The exhibit features these architects:
Daniele Calabi, Angelo Di Castro, Romeo Di Castro, Enrico De Angeli, Vito Latis, Gino Levi Montalcini, Alessandro Rimini, Ernesto Nathan Rogers, Nina Livia Viterbo
The exhibition is conceived as part of the project ‘Architecture and Remembrance. The discrimination of architects in nazi-fascist regimes”.
A Zoom webinar in English introducing the current temporary exhibition at MEIS — the National Museum of Italian Judaism and the Shoah in Ferrara— Houses of Life; Synagogues and Jewish Cemeteries in Italy.
The exhibition mainly features plans and architectural drawings of synagogues, as well as gravestones, tombs, and other architecture features, through the ages.
A historic ark and other Judaica are also featured.
Speakers in the webinar include the two curators of the exhibition, Andrea Morpurgo and MEIS director Amadeo Spagnoletto, as well as Dr. Jessica Del Russo.