An interactive map on the Information Portal to European Sites of Remembrance, linking to Holocaust memorials and related museums in Norway
Calmeyers gate 15b
Tel: +47 (0) 22 20 84 00
Formally opened in 2008 in a renovated building that had served as a synagogue from 1921-1942, the museum was established in March 2004 in collaboration with the Oslo City Museum. It began as an exhibition organized in 1992 at the Oslo City Museum, celebrating the centenary of Det Mosaiske Trossamfund (The Jewish Community of Oslo). The museum aims to collect and preserve objects and memories that illuminate Jewish history and culture in Norway, with an emphasis on immigration and integration from 1851 to the present. It is located in the area where many of the first Jewish immigrants to Oslo settled in the late 19th century.
Huk Aveny 5, Oslo
Tel: +47 (0) 22 842 100
P.O. Box 1168
NO-0318 Oslo, Norway
The former house of the Norwegian collaborator and dictator, Vidkun Quisling, opened in 2006 as the Norwegian Center for the Study of the Holocaust and Religious Minorities. Sited on the Oslo Fjord, it has views of the harbor where Norwegian Jews were shipped to Stettin and Auschwitz. It includes a permanent exhibition on the Holocaust, a library, a research institute, an auditorium, and other facilities. Funding for the project came from the Norwegian government and from Holocaust restitution funds.
Tel: +47 (0) 23 09 31 38
Email: email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org
Located in a 17th century building on the grounds of Akershus Fortresss, the stone fortress of the medieval king Harkon, the museum documents Norwegian resistance against the German occupation of 1940-5 and is sited near a major WW2 memorial. It was opened to the public by the then Crown Prince, now King Harald, on 8 May 1970, 25 years to the day after the end of the war in Europe.
Arkitekt Christies gate 1 B
Tel: +47 (0) 91573401
Opened in 1997, this small museum is located in the same building as the Jewish Community Center and synagogue — a former train station was bought by the Jewish Community in 1924. The second floor was converted into an orthodox synagogue which was opened in 1925.