A French-language article by Laurent Moyse providing details on the five Jewish cemeteries in the Grand Duchy: Clausen, Bellevue, Esch-sur-Alzette, Ettelbruck, and Grevenmacher. The article is taken from a brochure on the Jews of Luxembourg published in GenAmi, the magazine of the French Jewish Genealogy Association.
45 Avenue Monterey
Dedicated on 28 June 1953, this was one of the first synagogues in Europe to be rebuilt after World War II. It replaced an elaborate, domed Moorish-style building of 1894, which was destroyed in 1941-43. The current building elegantly combines Art Deco and early Modernist motifs. The Great Synagogue also houses the Jewish community’s offices. See pictures of both buildings HERE.
Clausen-Malakoff Jewish Cemetery (Old Jewish Cemetery)
Rue Jules Wilhelm (Passage de Treves)
The oldest Jewish cemetery in Luxembourg, established in 1817 on a sloping site near Tour Malakoff, an old entrance to the city. It remained in use until the 1890s. About one hundred gravestones survive, though most that predate the 1840s are now illegible. The oldest are towards the bottom of the hill. The cemetery was significantly damaged during the Nazi occupation of Luxembourg, as well as by landslides in the 1960s. It is owned and maintained by the city authorities.
Bellevue Jewish Cemetery (New Jewish cemetery)
10 Rue des Cerises, Limpertsberg
Bellevue is the largest Jewish cemetery in the country and is still in use. The site was acquired by the Jewish community in May 1883 after the Clausen cemetery had become too small. The gravestones are inscribed in German, French and Hebrew. The cemetery has been owned and maintained by the city authorities since 1961.
Ettelbruck Jewish Cemetery
Ettelbrück is about 30 kilometers north of Luxembourg City, and Jews first settled here in the 1820s. Their burials were first carried out in the capital, but timely transport was difficult to organize, and this cemetery was founded near the town’s southern entrance. The first funeral took place in 1882; the cemetery contains about 190 burials.
52 Rue du Canal
Located near the border with France, this is Luxembourg’s second-largest city and site of one of the country’s two active synagogues. The Romanesque-style synagogue that was built here in 1899 was destroyed in 1941. See PHOTO. This synagogue was rebuilt in the 1950s in an austere style derived from that of the original, with an apsed basilican plan, with a women’s balcony at the rear, and tall thin stained glass windows.
An open plaza (Place de la Synagogue) lies on the site of the destroyed synagogue. Here, three stele form a Holocaust Memorial commemorating the deported Jews of the town; one is etched with the image of the destroyed synagogue. See PHOTOS.
The cemetery, located near the northern entrance to the town, was built in 1905 and later enlarged. It contains about a hundred graves.
This town on the banks of the Moselle river near the German border was home to several Jewish families before World War II. The small community prayed in a private house. The Jewish cemetery contains 38 graves, the oldest of which date from the beginning of the 20th century. Many of the deceased came originally from Germany, especially the area near Trier.
A wellknown spa town, Mondorf-les-Bains is located on the border with France, southeast of Luxembourg City. The Art Nouveau and Moorish-influenced former synagogue on rue du Moulin, built in 1899, was heavily damaged during World War I. It has been maintained and administered by the local municipality since 1995. See PHOTO.