There are scores of Jewish museums and permanent exhibitions in Germany. They range from small private displays to major public institutions. Many are located in former synagogues or other Jewish buildings. There are also numerous institutions, study centers and university programs dealing with Jewish heritage, culture and history, as well as numerous web links and online databases.
We provide links here to lists of museums and institutions, and lists of links that can be found online, as well as separate links to a number of institutions that have their own web sites.
An association of Jewish museums and other institutions such as former synagogues, memorials, libraries, archives and research institutes, and also individuals working in this field from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The web site has a lot of resources and links.
Among other things, runs “summer camps” on which participants restore Jewish cemeteries.
Founded in 1987 and located in Heidelberg, the Archives are maintained by the Central Council of Jews in Germany with the sponsorship of the Federal Ministry of the Interior. The web site has links to much information and many digital and other resources.
An interactive project of the Monument to the Murdered Jewish of Europe Foundation in Berlin.
Part of the Alemannia Judaica web site, a listing of more than 50 Jewish museums or permanent Jewish-interest exhibitions in the German states of Baden- Württemberg, Rheinland Pfalz, Bavaria and Hesse, as well as some Jewish museums in Switzerland, Alsace (France) and Austria. There are links to the web sites of many of these museums.
Some 21 institutions, most of them in former synagogues, that form part of the non-State museums of Bavaria. Almost all were founded since 1989, and were developed under the regional direction of Otto Lohr.
Web site/blog with news and articles regarding Jewish heritage in many towns and cities in Bavaria.
Compiled by the Institut für Judaistik der Freien Universität Berlin (Jewish Studies Institute at the Berlin Free University)
A list of programs and Institutions compiled by the Verband der Judaisten in Deutschland e.V.
Tel: +49 (0) 821 513658
Fax: +49 (0) 821 513626
The museum is located in the west wing of the Augsburg synagogue (which celebrated its centenary in 2017). The museum was founded in 1985 as the first independent Jewish museum in postwar Germany. Its permanent exhibition celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2016.
PO BOX 11 10 21
86035 Augsburg, Germany
Blog of a private non-profit organization that researches Jewish history and heritage in and around Bavaria. There are links to posts regarding many towns and cities.
Tel: +49 (0) 30 25993 300
Fax: +49 (0) 30-25993 409
One of the world’s major Jewish museums, opened in 2001. Its main space in an iconic sculptural building by Daniel Libeskind. Parts of the museum are currently closed during preparation of a new permanent exhibition slated to open in 2019.
New Synagogue – Centrum Judaicum (Stiftung Neue Synagoge – Centrum Judaicum)
Oranienburger Str 28/30
Museum and Archives in the restored part of the imposing domed New Synagogue on Oranienburger Strasse.
Tel: +49 30 254 509–0
Fax: +49 30 254 509–99
Permanent exhibition at the site where the headquarters of the Secret State Police, the SS and the Reich Security Main Office were located during the Third Reich.The complex Includes the Nazi Forced Labor Documentation Center and an extensive Library that can be consulted online.
D – 10178 Berlin
Fax: +49 (0) 30 2093 66325
Tel. +49 (0) 7906-8512 or (0) 7906-940940
Email: rabbinatsmuseum@ braunsbach.de
Technische Universität Braunschweig
38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Tel: +49 (0) 531 391 2525
Fax: +49 (0) 531 391 2530
Center aimed at documenting and researching the sacred and secular architecture of Jewish communities in Europe with reference to its development within the cultural, historical and typological context. The Research Unit acts as an interdisciplinary German-Israeli entity, disseminating the results in scholarly and popular publications in order to raise the awareness of the general public for the need to preserve the endangered visual culture of the Jewish people.
Exhibition Centre Behind the St. Giles Church – Jewish Museum
Tel: +49 (0)531 12 15 26 61
A section of the regional museum opened in 1987 dedicated to local Jewish history. It includes the fittings of the small synagogue of Hornburg, built in 1766, and acquired in 1923 when the Jewish community there dissolved. They include the carved wooden ark and the painted cupola.
Tel: +49 (0) 2362 45279
Fax: +49 (0) 2362 45386
Three synagogues: Old (c 1270, with foundations dating probably to the 11th century), Small (1840), and New (1952). Medieval Mikveh (discovered in 2007 and now open to the public). A museum opened in the Old Synagogue in 2009.
The web site of the Jewish Life in Erfurt Network provides extensive information on all these sites. Jewish Life in Erfurt contact:
An der Stadtmünze 4/5
Tel: +49 (0) 361 655 1666
Fax: +49 (0) 361 655 55 7221
Edmund-Körner Platz 1
D- 45127 Essen
Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday 10 am to 6 pm
Audioguide in English and German available
Tel. +49 201 88 45 218
The imposing Old Synagogue, which survived WW2, was long used as a technology museum but is now a House of Jewish Culture, with exhibits and events.
Tel: +49 (0) 201 2016 4434
Fax: +49 (0) 201 8216 2916
Among its projects is Epidat – The Database of Jewish epigraphy, which provides the inventory, documentation, editing and presentation of epigraphic collections. There are more than 134 digital editions with more than 26,000 epitaphs (more than 60,000 image files) online.
D-60311 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0) 69 212 35000
Fax: +49 (0) 69 212 30705
Email: info @juedischesmuseum.de
60311 Frankfurt am Main
Phone: +49 (0)69 212 70 790
Fax: +49 (0)69 212 30 705
The web site offers a brief history of the former Jewish Ghetto, the Judengasse (literally Jews’ Lane), its inhabitants, the houses, and life in the ghetto down through the centuries. The Judengasse was demolished during urban renewal at the end of the 19th century and left derelict after World War II. Decades later, of the original 195 houses, 19 foundations were found during excavations for construction work – today five of them can be seen at “Museum Judengasse” and are used to present everyday life, living conditions and the religious customs of the Jewish inhabitants.
FURTH, SCHNAITTACH, SCHWABACH
Nürnberger Straße 3
Tel: +49 (0) 911 770577
Fax: +49 (0) 911 7417896
The Jewish Museum of Franconia is housed in three locations: the main museum in Fürth, with branches in Schnaittach (in the former synagogue) and in Schwabach (in a home that includes a sukkah). Details for all three are on the main web site linked above.
Tel: 034976 380850
Opened in 1988 in the 18th-century former synagogue in a village southwest of Berlin, as one of the first Jewish museums in post-WW2 Germany, following an ambitious project begun in 1982 to restore the synagogue, cantor’s house and Jewish school.
Beim Schlump 83
Tel: +49 (0) 40 42 838 2617
Fax: +49 (0) 40 44 808 66
Tel: +49 (0) 62 21 54 192 – 00
Fax.: +49 (0) 62 21 / 54 192 – 09
Founded in 1979, a leading Jewish studies center in Europe; affiliated with Heidelberg University. Its Albert Einstein library includes one of the largest collections of Judaica in Germany and includes works in all disciplines of Jewish studies, from the 16th century to the present.
Founded in 1987, the Archives are maintained by the Central Council of Jews in Germany with the sponsorship of the Federal Ministry of the Interior. The web site has links to much information and many digital and other resources.
Tel: +49 561 918 93-0
Fax: +49 561 918 93-10
One of around seven museums in Europe that deal specifically with the themes dying, death, burials and commemoration in our society. The permanent exhibition displays the history of graveyards and funeral monuments from the Middle Ages to the present day, as well as objects such as coffins, hearses, mourning costume and mourning jewellery. Its extensive Library has a searchable online catalogue.
Tel: 07392 96 800-0
Opened in 1998, the exhibition is housed in the main museum and also at the pre-burial house at the Jewish cemetery, which also can be visited. The cemetery was founded around 1730 and today has around 1,200 graves. The pre-burial house was built in 1907 and restored in 2014 to house its exhibit, which includes sections on the history of the cemetery, Jewish gravestone iconography, and Jewish funeral practices.
A municipal museum, opened in 2007, that forms part of a Jewish cultural and communal complex that includes a synagogue and Jewish community building.
Tel: +49 (0) 6232 1325 0
Fax: +49 (0) 6232 1325 40
STEINBACH AM GLAN
Tel: +49 (0) 6383 9217 0
Fax: +49 (0) 6383 9217 92
Haus zur Sonne
Fon +49 (0)6241 853 8400
Fax +49 (0)6241 853 8409
Association dedicated to promoting on the world scale the linked Medieval Jewish heritage f Worms, Mainz and Speyer (known collectively as Shum, from an anagram of the initials of the towns).
Hintere Judengasse 6
Tel: +49 (0) 6241 853 4701-4707
Fax +49 (0) 6241 853 4710
The building, next to the rebuilt medieval synagogue, also houses the city archives.
Shalom Europa Museum (Jewish community museum)
Among the exhibits is a collection of some 1456 Jewish tombstones and fragments dating from 1147 and 1346 that were saved when a Medieval building in the city was partially demolished in 1987. The trove represents the largest collection of Medieval Jewish tombstones.