GENERAL (NATIONAL & REGIONAL)
Extensive and detailed web site of an association dedicated to researching Jewish history and built heritage in southern Germany and neighboring territories. Links to hundreds of cemeteries, synagogue buildings, museums, mikvaot, etc, with photographs, maps, documents, and more. The site includes a comprehensive overview in English by Dr. Joachim Hahn: Tracking Jewish Heritage in the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg. The web site even allows you to send digital postcards with images of Jewish heritage sites.
Online database of epitaphs and inscriptions from more than 130Jewish cemeteries in Germany; inventory, documentation, editing and presentation of epigraphic collections.
Material from the Central Archives for Researching the History of Jewish in Germany — a database, arranged alphabetically and by state, with lists, addresses, literature, extensive bibliographies and other material and documentation on Jewish cemeteries in Germany.
Alphabetical listing of sites, plus other resources and links. Much of this material is available in English on the International Jewish Cemetery Project page for Bavaria.
The site has lists of photos arranged by state.
SYNAGOGUES & MIKVAOT
A web site that serves as a memorial to the synagogues attacked on the Kristallnacht pogrom in November 1938. It includes “1400 histories of each community and its synagogue that had been attacked.” It does NOT include information on the approximated 600 “synagogues or prayer halls, defunct or operating, that were not damaged on Pogrom Night itself, unless they were attacked at an earlier or later date.”
Part of the Alemannia Judaica project — links to a wealth of material on hundreds of sites.
Information about more than 2200 German and Austrian synagogues, including photographs, drawings, documents: “With this archive we want to remember more than 2200 synagogues that were closed, desecrated or destroyed in Germany and Austria during the Nazi regime. At the same time, we want to inform the user about what happened to the buildings that remained standing after 1945 and to other former sites.” The site has many links, as well as a rich bibliography of both general publications and publications about individual synagogues.
In this project, the CAD Department in Architecture at the Technical University of Darmstadt has digitally reconstructed synagogues that were destroyed by the Nazis in 1938. The reconstructions, carried out under the direction of Prof. Manfred Koob and Dipl. Ing. Marc Grellert, record the cultural lost and, at the same time, call to mind the historical importance of the buildings, and also investigates how new forms of cultural remembrance can be developed with the help of information and communication technology.
Photos of dozens of synagogues and former synagogues, arranged alphabetically by state.
The Ashkenaz House web site has other resources, links and articles.
Seidel’s photographs include images of several medieval mikvaot in Germany
There is a vast amount of information on Jewish heritage in German available online. You can find links to many sites in the web resources listed above. Here below, we provide information on places that have their own web sites or other online information. Also please see the listings in the other sections of the Germany pages.
A tourism web site with information aimed at visitors, including pages with the addresses of Berlin’s synagogues and other information.
Tel: +49 (0) 30 92 53 33 0
Fax: +49 (0) 30 92 37 62 96
Covering 42 hectares (nearly 100 acres), Weissensee, established in 1880, is believed to be the largest — in area — Jewish cemetery in Europe. It has 115,000 graves. A documentary film about the cemetery, In Heaven Underground, was released in 2011
Museum and Archives in the restored part of the imposing New Synagogue on Oranienburger Strasse.
Since August 2007 excavations have been under way in the city’s Town Hall Square. This is where, in the Middle Ages, one of the largest and even then, oldest urban Jewish Quarters was located. A Jewish museum is under development here.
The excavations, covering 10,000 square meters, have revealed that the oldest synagogue north of the Alps known to date was located in Cologne. Recent findings indicate that it can be dated back to the first half of the 11th century. The synagogue is built on a classical structure from the fourth century. Also discovered was a mikvah also dating back to the first half of the 11th century. More than 250,000 artifacts and important inscriptions have been found during the dig.
Three synagogues: Old (c 1270, with foundations dating probably to the 11th century), Small (1840) and New (1952). Medieval Mikvah (discovered in 2007 and now open to the public). A museum opened in the Old Synagogue in 2009. There is a Jewish cemetery dating from 1871 and still in use. Plus site of destroyed Old Cemetery. Also, several dozen preserved gravestones from the medieval Jewish cemetery, which had been used as building material after the cemetery was razed following the expulsion of Jews in 1458, are preserved and displayed at the Old Synagogue.
The web site of the Jewish LIfe in Erfurt Network provides extensive information on all these sites. Jewish Life in Erfurt contact:
An der Stadtmünze 4/5
Tel: +49 (0) 361 655 1666
Fax: +49 (0) 361 655 55 7221
The imposing domed synagogue, built in built in 1911-1913, was one of the few major building standing in downtown Essen after WW2. Long used after the war as a technology museum, it is now a House of Jewish Culture with a permanent exhibition and events.
Edmund-Körner Platz 1
D- 45127 Essen
Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday 10 am to 6 pm
Audioguide in English and German available
Tel. +49 201 88 45 218
Encompasses the Jewish community, Jewish cemeteries, museums, monuments, educational institutions and private buildings
Frankfurt’s Jews were forced to live for over 400 years in the city’s’ s Judengasse, with a population of about 3,000 in the 16th century. The street was torn down during urban renewal in the later 19th century, and a big, new synagogue opened in 1882 in the new Börneplatz. The synagogue was destroyed on Kristallnacht and the area left derelict after World War II. In the 1980s, archaeological remains were uncovered during the construction work for a municipal utilities center. After widespread, heated debate, some of the remains were preserved as a museum. Of the original 195 houses, 19 foundations were found – today five of them can be seen at “Museum Judengasse,” an annex of the Frankfurt Jewish Museum, and are used to present everyday life, living conditions and religious customs. The museum includes the foundation walls of the five houses, two ritual baths, two wells and a canal. The Judengasse web site offers a brief history of the former Jewish Ghetto, the Judengasse, its inhabitants, the houses, and life in the ghetto down through the centuries.
The site of the Börneplatz synagogue is a Holocaust memorial.
The town straddles the Oder River that forms the border between Germany and Poland, with the German part called Frankfurt and the Polish part called Słubice. Most Jewish sites are in the German side, though the Jewish cemetery is in Poland. (A similar situation exists in Gorizia/Nova Gorica, on the border between Italy and Slovenia.)
A project of the Institute for Applied History e.V. at the European University Viadrina in Frankfurt/Oder as part of its program “Youth for diversity, tolerance and democracy – against right-wing extremism, xenophobia and anti-Semitism.” The online guide includes a map and lists of sites. Audio guide headphones are available at the local Tourist Office, and there is also a downloadable guide in MP3 format. The online guide shows a variety of Jewish heritage sites and also maps the location of the “Stumbling Stones” monuments that mark the houses where Jews who were killed in the Holocaust once lived.
A vast and comprehensive web site with articles, photos, links and more on the 400-year Jewish presence in Hamburg and area. A project of Hamburg’s Institute for the History of German Jews.
Eduard Duckesz House (Reception and information center)
Königstraße 10 a
The oldest Jewish cemetery in Hamburg and the oldest Portuguese-Sefardic Jewish cemetery in northern Europe, protected as a historic monument since 1960. Between 1611 and the 1870s, there were some 9,000 burials, here, 2,000 in the Portuguese-Jewish section and 7,000 in the German-Jewish Ashkenazic part of the grounds. There are more than 6,000 German and 1,600 Portuguese fully or partially preserved gravestones. The Sephardic gravestones in particular are noted for their elaborated carved decoration. The web site includes a wealth of information as well as links to databases, pictures, inscriptions.
The Jewish section in the vast Ohlsdorf cemetery was opened in 1883. It comprises some 11 hectares and includes about 18,000 graves. There is a large memorial to German Jewish soldiers killed in World War I.
Detailed illustrated lecture, viewable online, about this cemetery
MONDORF AM RHEIN
Web page with aerial view, map, photographs and other detailed information about this cemetery.
Web site with extensive information on the cemetery, located on Esterweg, which was founded probably in the early 18th century and whose oldest surviving gravestone dates from 1820 — it is that of Sprinz, daughter of Jizchak Halevi. The last burial took place in April 1941.
Since 1987 the cemetery has been maintained by a school, the Alexander-Coppel-Gesamtschule (former name: Solingen Comprehensive School). A school project group takes care of the gravesites and the cemetery area at Estherweg. To date, more than 300 students have dealt with the history and the culture of the former Jewish community.
NOTE: There is no public access to the cemetery. Michael Sandmöller, leader of the project group ‚Jewish cemetery‘ at the Alexander-Coppel-School, usually offers guided tours to the cemetery twice a year. (Check the web site for dates.)