An Association to Protect Synagogues, Jewish Cemeteries, and Cultural Monuments was established in 2003 with the support of the Georgian government.
Web site with news, information, history, photo galleries, videos, etc
K. Leselidze street
Built in 1906, the large, red-brick complex with arched windows includes Tbilisi’s central synagogue, a smaller prayer house, a mikveh, a kosher slaughter house and storage spaces. It was restored in 2011.
Built in 1893 for the Mountain Jewish community, it became the Ashkenazi synagogue after World War II. Seriously damaged in an earthquake in 1991, it was totally reconstructed in 2008-2009 under the sponsorship of the president of the Euro-Asian Jewish Congress.
ELSEWHERE IN GEORGIA
Stone Synagogue, with a flat facade, arched windows and turret-like side towers, built in 1900-1904 on the site of a wooden synagogue. It was restituted to Jewish ownership in 1992 and since then has served as the local Jewish center.
handsome building with arching windows and a rounded architectural dome of a silver color. The inner ceiling is shaped like a giant pop-over, inlaid with a myriad of small skylights. A mural of colorful mountains beneath an impressionistic, purple-streaked horizon decorates the ceiling panel above the Torah Reader’s platform.
Built in 1886 and designed by an unknown architect, the building has a flat facade with false arches and a protruding portico over the entry. The synagogue complex, which includes a mikveh and a yard, have been under reconstruction sponsored by the president of the Euro-Asian Jewish Congress.