Built around 1897, the synagogue in Medias, in south Transylvania — one of the “seven fortresses” or Siebenbürgen, settled by Saxons — could seat around 1,000 people. The Jewish community survived World War II, but migrated en masse to Israel, leaving the empty synagogue to decay. The synagogue complex also included the Rabbi’s house, community offices, a Jewish school and a mikvah.
A long-standing project to restore the building as a cultural center gained new momentum in the summer of 2014. See our JHE report on this.