GENERAL AND REGIONAL
Comprehensive official French web site that benefits from having Toni L. Kamins as its editor and contributor. It includes addresses and links to museums, Jewish cemeteries, synagogues, Jewish quarters and other sites of Jewish heritage and history as well as information and resources on today’s Jewish communities and life, including schools, restaurants, kosher shops, bookstores and even kosher wineries….The guide is organized by region of France — click and see.
A clickable map with information on more than 200 sites all over the country: synagogues, memorials, Jewish cemeteries, and more. The map was prepared by the B’nai B’rith Hirschler team (Strasbourg) for the “Journées Européennes de la Culture et du Patrimoine Juifs en France” (European Days of Jewish Culture).
Article by Gérard Nahon on the history, styles, and current condition of Jewish cemeteries in France
He describes the approx. 300 or so Jewish cemeteries in France, most of which opened following the decrees or laws in 1791, 1804, and 1881, and which fall into four historic and legal categories:
Dedicated to the events programmed on the annual European Day of Jewish Culture in September, this web site lists many Jewish heritage sites in France, by region (based on the EDJC events planned there).
Alsace-Lorraine has very well developed documentation and tourist infrastructure regarding Jewish heritage sites; the region launched “open doors” days to Jewish heritage in 1996, which led to the overall launch of the European Day of Jewish Culture. The general web has numerous sub-pages with detailed information on scores of Jewish heritage sites, including synagogues, cemeteries, mikvehs, museums, homes and other places for the departments of Bas-Rhin; Haut-Rhin; and Lorraine. It also has links to material on Jewish heritage in individual towns including Colmar; Mulhouse; Strasbourg and Metz.
Chabad tourism and information site with listings and addresses for a number of sites in northern France.
Edward Victor’s web site has history and postcards for more than 20 towns:
Belfort, Besancon, Biarritz, Carpentras, Chablis, Chalons-Sur-Marne, Dijon, Epernay, Epinal, Ingwiller, Jouarre (La Ferte), Lille, Luneville, Reims, Saint Etienne, Sedan, Selestat, Strasbourg, Thann, Thionville, Verdun
All the presentations are available in video form, clicking the links. Most are in French; some are in English with French voice-over
You can access information to many if not most main Jewish heritage sites in France via the general links above. We present here below places that have their own web sites or other online resources.
Neo-classic synagogue, designed by the architect by architect J.A. Jeoffroy and built in 1846-48, features a domed rotunda and elegant sanctuary notable for the two-levels of Doric and Corinthian columns. It is located in the medieval ghetto area on the site of an earlier synagogue that was destroyed by fire in 1845. The first synagogue on the site was built in the 13th century.
2 place Jérusalem
Tel: +33 04 90 85 21 24
Jewish cemetery established in the 17th century and one of the oldest in France, with about 3,000 mainly horizontal Sephardic-style grave markers. Restoration work, organized by the German group Aktion Sühnezeichen (Action Reconciliation) and the Jewish Museum of Belgium, has been going on since 2011, following on work carried out in 2010 by Belgium Jewish Museum curator Dr. Philippe Pierret and the photographer Gina van Hoof.
Here’s a video about the 2014 volunteer restoration campaign.
Small town in the Pyrenees with a 17th century Jewish cemetery.
Bordeaux has three historic Jewish cemeteries, all listed as historic cultural monuments since 1995.
Prepared and published by the city’s tourism department. In French with a map and summaries in English and Spanish.
Video of the Avignonnais Jewish cemetery at 47 rue Sauteyron in central Bordeaux, founded in 1728 and in use until 1805. It has 104 graves:
Synagogue from 1842 (now housing the Alsatian-Jewish Museum). Jewish cemetery dating from the late 16th century; oldest legible stone from 1608.
62a Grand-rue, 67330 Bouxwiller
Tel./Fax : +33 (0) 3 88 709 717
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The oldest still-active Synagogue in France, built in 1367 and restored, expanded and rebuilt in rococo style in the 18th century by the architect Antoine D’Allemand, who also carried out other major works in the town, including the aquaduct. The synagogue has a simple facade. The complex includes, on the ground floor, two mikvehs (one from the 14th century and one from the 18th century) and two bakeries (one for bread, one for matzo). The sanctuary, in teal-colored wood, employs tromp l’oeill “marble” and baroque elements.
Like the synagogue the cemetery dates back to the 14th century and was listed as a historic monument in 2007. Hidden behind a 10-foot wall, it lies just outside town, across from the aqueduct (designed by the same architect who designed the 18th century reconstruction of the synagogue) and includes about 760 legible gravestones, shaded by mature pine trees. (A catalogue of the stones was published in 1998 but it’s not clear if and where it is available.)
The oldest part of the cemetery has no gravestones, as a papal edict at the time forbade erecting stones or making inscriptions. The oldest stones date from the late 18th and early 19th century, after the French Revolution. There is also a ceremonial hall and a Geniza.
Medieval Synagogue, rebuilt in rebuilt in elaborate style in 1772-1774. No longer in use as a house of worship, it houses a Jewish Museum. It is located in the old Jewish quarter, and the complex includes a ritual bath. A plaque marks the site of the old Jewish cemetery — now a parking lot next tothe tourism office.
Synagogue and Jewish Museum
Synagogue originally built in the late 19th century, now housing the Centre d’Art Contemporain (Center for Contemporary Art)
33, rue Poincare, 57590 Delme, France
tel.+33 (0)3 87 01 43 42
fax.+33 (0)3 87 01 43 14
The synagogue was originally built in 1881 in Moorish style, with a large, distinctive onion dome. It was almost completely demolished by German bombing in World War II and reconstructed in 1946 in a much simpler style that still incorporates a peristyle, raised platform, first-floor balcony, arched portal and windows, and dome. It has housed the contemporary arts center since 1993.
Once a major wool manufacturing center, Elbeuf, in Normandy, had a sizeable Jewish population in the textile industry before World War II. Few survivors returned to Elbeuf, but the 1950s and 60s brought Sephardic Jews from N. Africa. With the move of textile manufacturing to the Far East over the past few decades, the last semblances of Elbeuvian Jewish life have vanished. The synagogue – whose outer walls bear yellow stars painted by Nazi sympathizers during World War II – still stands.
Here’s the trailer for Yellow Stars of Tolerance, a documentary chronicling how New Yorker Marie Lippman, born in Elbeuf, works to see the restoration of the synagogue:
13, quai Tilsitt, on the Saône River
Tel : 04 78 37 13 43
Fax : 04 78 38 26 57
Email : email@example.com
A neo-Byzantine building whose street facade resembles a stately mansion, the synagogue was designed by the architect Abraham Hirsch and built in 1863-64. It was placed on the list of historic monuments in 1984 and underwent renovations completed in 2014, in time for celebrations marking its 150th anniversary.
As befits the capital of the country with the largest Jewish population in Europe, there are many synagogues, neighborhoods, institutions…Check the Paris page of the France for the Jewish Traveler web site for suggested itineraries, etc.
Seating 1,800 people, this is the largest synagogue in France, and one of the largest in Europe. It was designed by the Chief Architect of Paris Alfred-Philibert Aldrophe and built in 1874, with the support of the Rothschild family.
Agoudas Hakehilos (Pavée) Synagogue
10 Rue Pavée
Tel: +33 1 48 87 21 54
A synagogue designed in art nouveau style by the architect Hector Guimard and dating from 1914.
An imposing synagogue built in 1877 and a major work of the architect Stanislas Ferrand, it has a facade featuring a large stained glass rose window framed by an arch. The grand sanctuary has a large raised Bimah in the center, in Sephardic fashion, and seats arranged along the sides.
The Jewish presence dates back to the early middle ages and archaeological traces (mainly the so-caled Maison Sublime) remain. Today there is an active Jewish community; a synagogue was built in 1950 to replace the synagogue destroyed in WW2.
A building dating from around 1100 and discovered by chance in 1976 under the courtyard of the Rouen courthouse. It is believed to be the oldest Jewish building in France, though scholars have been divided as to what its original function was — a private residence, synagogue, or yeshiva.
Though there is evidence of an earlier presence of Jews in Thann, communal life dates from the late 18th century. Today there is a synagogue and Jewish cemetery; and in 2014 a mikveh dating from 1860 was discovered.
Imposing synagogue, with Moorish-style elements, built in 1862 to replace an earlier structure. It was severely damaged in World War II, rebuilt, then devastated again in World War II. It was rebuilt after WW2, then restored in 1975. Efforts are under way for further restoration and repair work.
Aimed at raising funds for the refurbishment
See a video about the synagogue and restoration project: