A new online exhibition about the history of the important modernist New Synagogue (Nová Synagóga) in Žilina, Slovakia is now viewable — it is the digital version of a permanent exhibition now under preparation that will be installed in the entry hall of the building.
The synagogue opened to the public last year as a contemporary arts center, after six years of painstaking restoration work.
Designed by the German architect Peter Behrens and built in 1928-31, the synagogue was long used after World War II as a university lecture hall and a cinema. It was returned to the ownership of the Jewish community, which rented it for a symbolic fee to the Truc Sphérique civic association, which has headed the conversion.
The online exhibition uses archival photos to trace the history of the building, from the design competition for it in 1928, to its construction, through ravages of World War II, and damaging transformations during and after Communism.