The 19th century Jewish section of Glasgow’s Necropolis Cemetery is one of eight historic sites in Scotland that will share in a £1.6 million grant from Historic Scotland to open historic sites to the public.
Historic Scotland’s Building Repairs Grant Scheme allocated more than £13,000 to the cemetery to repair 15 headstones, as well as other work to make visiting the site, which has not been used for burials since the early 1850s, easier and provide information about it.
Historic Scotland states:
Glasgow’s Necropolis is undoubtedly one of the most important monuments of Victorian Glasgow, internationally significant as a spectacular example of a Garden cemetery, featuring memorial designs by many leading architects and sculptors of the time, including an early work by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
The Jewish Enclosure within the Necropolis (awarded £13,125) was acquired around 1832 and marked by a column based on Absalom’s Tomb in King’s Dale, Jerusalem. The enclosure was very quickly filled, due to the fact that Jewish Law forbids the burial of more than one person in a grave, and so no burials have taken place since the 1850s. The enclosure is therefore an integral piece of Jewish heritage in Scotland, and important for the architecture and history of the Necropolis.
The project aims to repair and restore fifteen fallen headstones, a staircase and rubble wall, as well as installing a handrail and posts to increase accessibility. The works also include plans to install a viewing area and information boards outlining the history of the graveyard.
The other sites benefiting from the grant include the City Observatory Complex in Edinburgh and an extremely rare locomotive turntable in Aberdeen.