The Jewish Heritage of Moldova Museum, in Chisinau, Moldova, reopened at Hanukkah after being closed for a year while its main permanent exhibition was revamped and updated.
According to the Museum, the new exhibition includes an interactive component that allows visitors to “flip” through pages of documents and photo albums, watch movies and read articles.
The exhibition has sections on Jewish life in towns, cities and villages as well as sections that elaborate traditional Jewish trades and professions. There are also sections dealing with anti-Semitism, pogroms and the Holocaust, as well as Jewish participation as soldiers in the military.
Although some new objects have been including in the revamped exhibition, the museum directors appeal to people with roots in the region for future contributions, including “objects and pictures, documents and materials, stories and memories that illustrate Jewish life in Moldova and Bessarabia.”
The museum organizers a variety of cultural and educational programs.
The museum is located in KEDEM (the Kishinev United House of the Jews in Moldova), Chisinau’s Jewish community, cultural and welfare center, which opened in 2005. The museum is located in a historical part of the campus, originally built in 1835 as the “Lemnaria” (wooden or wood-cutters’) Synagogue, so named because of the wood shops and stockpiles around it. Until the Choral Synagogue was built in 1913, it was the largest synagogue in the city. It was nationalized in 1940, and though returned to Jewish ownership decades later, by that time only the facade and basement remained of the original structure.